Skip navigation

Three more shots from my few golden minutes in the garden yesterday.  These were taken outside, with natural light – no reflectors, no flash.  Apart from cropping and adjusting the shadows – I didn’t do any editing.

I am getting more and more excited about buying a macro lens this summer.  I’m ready for the new world that it will uncover.

16 Comments

• Mathai
    • Posted 18 March 2010 at 7:54 am

I love the first one! It looks like an indoor shot and everything is so controlled. Nice results with the 18-200mm VR. I suggest you invest in a 105mm 2.8 Nikon Micro

• That’s the one… Only I will get the VR version as I want to use it for outdoor portraits (hand-held).

• Polar Panda
    • Posted 18 March 2010 at 9:03 am

How did you do that? I mean would you share how you shot the photos?? Seriously. This is amazing, especially when everything is sleeping in brown on the other side of the planet! Wow, this is “bugging” me. Well, if the 3rd photo has less flower – crop a little bit bottom left – that would be different…(envy suggestion)

• Polar Panda
    • Posted 18 March 2010 at 9:07 am

May I ask how far you are away from the bug technically when you took the picture? How did you get the black background? I have a 55 – 200 mm lens…I am just wondering…

1. I break 2 ‘rules’ to achieve this… Harsh morning sun (around 9am) – instead of early morning soft light – provides the overexposed look; and pointing the camera downwards (another no no) between the leaves – this shows the darker area as pitch black.

I stand back the minimum possible to get focus. This was at the maximum 200mm and I was about .75m away.

• Polar Panda
      • Posted 18 March 2010 at 6:57 pm

Thank you so much! I did not know that you can use 200mm for close shooting…that 1st one might be qualified for National Geographic.

2. I liked the last picture. The white color from the flower made the rest of the picture stand out.

3. Is the first one from Teh National geographic team :O)
    Great Work
    The first is my best ( it would be greater if the color of the ladybird was red not orange )

• onlooker
    • Posted 18 March 2010 at 1:15 pm

yes the 1st one is THE best, not that the others are any less awesome..! The first shot, makes one gasp at the sheer beauty of the total composition..a feast for the eyes…!

4. I agree with everyone. The first shot really stands out. Awesome light.

5. Hi! First time, pls allow me to admire your expressive shots with the bug. I like the way it was naturally taken & unedited. Great!😉

6. Love the composition of the first image.

7. great shot! yes indeed!

• el wehbi
    • Posted 8 April 2010 at 11:13 am

Brilliant Bu Yousef!

You really should be doing this for a living.

8. I Love Lady Bug.. beautiful photos