Skip navigation

My blog is strictly about photography… so for this post I wrote the above and, well, took a photo of it!  I was looking for a trusted website today to send a donation for Haiti.  I was planning to pay around $50, then I thought it would be more fun to involve you.  Yes you!

Until 12pm Kuwait time on Friday, for every comment I get from a unique visitor to this post, I will add a dollar to my original donation.  I post on Facebook and Twitter, so I will be counting the comments, replies and retweets – as well as those below.  I’m optimistic, but I apologise (a little) for also being realistic.  I will pay a maximum of $200 to WFP.  If you know of a better organisation, please let me know.

Thank you for YOUR HELP!

UPDATE i: A very generous offer by intlxpatr and her husband: They will match (y)our donation! Talk has become even less cheap! Your comment is now effectively worth $2.  Thank you intlxpatr🙂

UPDATE ii:  We have, together, donated $250 to the World Food Program, specifically for their ‘Help Haiti’ appeal.  I hope this small contribution helps their great effort.  The enthusiasm shown by many of you to help is inspiring.  I thank you all for your time and input.  Have a great Friday/weekend and I wish you all the best.

UPDATE iii: Intlxpatr and Marzouq have matched our $250 donation, and Polar Panda has donated $249 Canadian.  These additions, together with the matched donations of the Canadian government, and Polar Panda’s employer, brings the total to an impressive $1,450.  Thank you so much!

69 Comments

1. What up.

2. $51

3. ya36ek el 3afya

• nora
    • Posted 21 January 2010 at 2:46 am

i like how they only use 2% of donations on admin.

• Amu
    • Posted 21 January 2010 at 6:39 am

Mashallah a very good move. Allah ye3a6ek el3afiya🙂

4. By unique, do you mean someone who has never commented before, or will you count me, too?🙂

• danderma
    • Posted 21 January 2010 at 7:48 am

This is a good thing you are trying to do here… i tried to pay something for Haiti Victims via amazon and it did not work… still looking for another source… mesakeen they had another quake😦

• Mathai
    • Posted 21 January 2010 at 8:24 am

Thats a very nice thing to do.🙂
    ps. your handwriting is very good.

• Polar Panda
    • Posted 21 January 2010 at 9:31 am

Count me one please.

World Relief Canada is an eligible charity organization. The Government of Canada will match the contributions of individuals to eligible Canadian charitable organizations in support of humanitarian and recovery efforts in response to the earthquake in Haiti, up to a total of $50 million.

• Bashar
    • Posted 21 January 2010 at 10:42 am

I usually trust sources like UNICEF and The red cross. I hope that’s reliable enough

5. A very neat handwriting and a great initiative too!

6. Salaam.

Thank you for this, we have a similar initiative at our company. for every donation we made. they would make the same amount donation. I work for Pearson. Its a world wide initiative.

• vinniecorp
    • Posted 21 January 2010 at 11:30 am

Allah ykhalleeh fee mezan 7asanatik

7. love what you’re doing!
    may allah reward you!

8. Since my last comment:

Blog $12
    Facebook $0
    Twitter $0

Current Total _______________ $ 63

9. Hopefully nmot too late but here’s mine

10. Not too late.
    Just under 24 hours left!

Current Total _______________ $ 64

11. Can we contribute?
    you are doing an amazing job

• ButtOye
    • Posted 21 January 2010 at 12:34 pm

go Bu Yousef thats very genrous of u… i could change my name several times and post several msgs but i dont think it will be fair… hope more ppl would be inspired and donate more in this cause…

• Check back tomorrow – and do it if we’re far from our target. Just don’t tell me🙂

12. Here’s me adding to the pot.

13. Haiti thanks you ;D

$68

• mirfaan
    • Posted 21 January 2010 at 1:23 pm

*plop*

14. This is a great thing you’re doing. I’m going to retweet you as well, so you can count either this comment or the retweet, up to you.

Also, if you’re interested in spreading out the donations to more than one charity, Doctors Without Borders is doing amazing work in Haiti. (a href=”http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/world/2010/01/19/amanpour.doctors.without.borders.cnn.html”>Check out their interview on CNN.

They don’t take donations on their international site, but their UAE site accepts donations from Kuwait. (It’s at the top of the list, not grouped with the other Ks on their donation country dropdown)

Unfortunately, unlike say the International Red Cross site, it doesn’t seem like you can specify what or where your donation is for.

15. Since my last comment:

Blog $6
    Facebook $0
    Twitter $1

Current Total _______________ $ 71

16. Go for it Bu Yousef….$72

17. I love the initiative!
    You have beautiful handwriting, `and are a good photographer!

18. B&D is in!! seriously this is a good cause we were just thinking what could we do from here…

19. Nice…

• onlooker
    • Posted 21 January 2010 at 6:13 pm

didnt much get the exact procedure! but yes as many had mentioned many are at a loss as to how to approach and who to when it comes to situations like this. glad to know that initiations like this is how it all starts, when it all trickles in..great effort.

20. Blog $5
    Facebook $2
    Twitter $1

Current Total _______________ $ 79

21. Nice of you! Great job

• Fruitloop
    • Posted 21 January 2010 at 8:08 pm

Very nice handwriting!

• daggero
    • Posted 21 January 2010 at 8:10 pm

Dear Abo Yousef ;

please donate the money now and dont wait for the comments , because i am afraid that by the time the comments reach the required number, some of the people you are trying to help will be beyond it .

• I know what you mean… but see it this way: Yesterday I wanted to donate $50. Tomorrow, I expect the total donation to be near $400 (because intlxpatr is matching the amount here). It’s creating awareness for Haiti as well as where to direct our money. The end result is it’s a maximum of 2 days late – but 8 times the original amount.

22. Blog $3
    Facebook $3
    Twitter $0

Current Total _______________ $ 85

• Ladybird World Mum
    • Posted 21 January 2010 at 9:15 pm

Count me in!
    Unique, eh?
    Unique and me are Firm Friends.
    Brilliant thing you are doing… hoping I am in time.

• Q80BOY
    • Posted 21 January 2010 at 10:26 pm

go Bu Yousef!!😀

• AS-girl
    • Posted 21 January 2010 at 10:56 pm

Great thinking Bu yousef!!

23. That’s a great idea! Very nice of you too!

24. Wow what an idea. Bless you for it M. !

25. Good job appreciate your work

• Guy
    • Posted 21 January 2010 at 11:10 pm

This is a very cool idea for building your network and at the same time help others. Way to go!

• el wehbi
    • Posted 21 January 2010 at 11:42 pm

Good for you BuYousef! A noble thing that you are doing!

26. Blog $8
    Facebook $1
    Twitter $0

Current Total _______________ $ 94

• Rachel
    • Posted 22 January 2010 at 12:19 am

I was worried I had to be creative, but now I get what you mean about ‘unique.’ =)

27. Hello!

• Q8Dutchie
    • Posted 22 January 2010 at 1:42 am

Thank you for what you are doing. I grew up there and my parents still live there. They are safe but very, very busy. (We lived in Kuwait for a few years- which is how I found your blog) Thank you again for yours (and intlxpat’s) generosity.

28. from twitter!

• ~Alpha
    • Posted 22 January 2010 at 5:39 am

It’s noble to care about the world, and ignore your own problems for a while. I wish many more could do it.🙂 Keep it up.

29. 3 HOURS LEFT!

Blog $5
    Facebook $2
    Twitter $3

Current Total _______________ $104

• ~Alpha
    • Posted 22 January 2010 at 9:43 am

To help the world… Better hurry.

• jennifer
    • Posted 22 January 2010 at 10:04 am

Thank you for your generosity.

• Z.J.110
    • Posted 22 January 2010 at 10:57 am

bu yusef!
    mashallah! Ikaib al3mal aljeed! saly Allah 3laik!
    Mabrook=D
    m3salaam!
    Zara.

30. Carry on your good work!

Cheers!

31. 20 MINUTES LEFT!

Blog $4
    Facebook $2
    Twitter $3

Current Total _______________ $113

32. Good morning! Here’s my $2 worth.

33. Thank you so much for all your support.

Final addition:

Blog $1
    Facebook $3
    Twitter $1

GRAND TOTAL _______________ $118

• Q80BOY
    • Posted 22 January 2010 at 12:13 pm

Great work coz!!😉

34. Donation made… See update ii

I couldn’t miss the opportunity of intlxpatr matching our contribution, so we donated 250.

This means a combined total of $500!
    Thank you all once again… especially intlxpatr🙂

35. I sent my matching donation – $250 – to the WFP, Bu Yousef. Well done! Thank you for this humanitarian challenge.

I am hearing about a great Family Day at a camp in Kuwait, with food from Mais al Ghanim and tickets a 10KD donation. Oh, what a great day that sounds like. I think it is a joint effort of American Women and British Women (and very well could be others)

• Sounds great… Today however, I painted a few walls inside the house and my wife took the kids ice-skating🙂

36. Better late than never😉

• lt40
    • Posted 22 January 2010 at 8:06 pm

my vote.

37. Hey Yousif! Thank you for providing us a way to help!

Thanx to your comment I will match your donations as well to $250!

• Polar Panda
    • Posted 23 January 2010 at 10:36 am

Great action with love, Bu Yousef.
    I’ve sent my match $249 (CAN) to World Relief Canada as I can get a tax receipt (Canadian government will return 33% of my donation to me). Both my employer and Canadian government will match it. So it will be $747 in total.

38. Oh WOW. Bu Yousef, did you see? 250 from Marzouk and 249 from Polar Panda? Just look what you have done – you’ve created a $999 donation from thin air, or virtual space!

Walls: what colors?

• 🙂 even more… See update iii

Walls: Drawing room had to be a little boring to blend with classic furniture, so: grape green and caramel. Dining room was more fun with a rich mocha colour🙂

• Fruitloop
    • Posted 25 January 2010 at 9:01 pm

I just found out an exciting fact today! Here is the math behind the Heidi Relief Donation on my end:

Polar Panda donate $249
    Talisman matches $249
    My consulting firm (Sierra systems) matches $249
    Canadian matches $249 x 3
    Total: $1494

Oh, that is so neat! I am so happy!

One Trackback/Pingback

1. […] Yousef’s Haiti Challenge My Kuwait blogging friend, Bu Yousef, is about to send a donation to the World Food Program designated to help Haiti. He has set a […]

Comments are closed.